Guinea pigs, also referred to as cavies, are friendly and curious animals. But, they want dedication and regular attention to ensure they continue to be healthy and pleased. Continue reading to discover simple tips to look after your pocketful of sunlight.
Guinea pigs are sociable pocket animals, can be tamed, and will live for as much as a decade. Their friendly nature means they are great animals. They’re also really smart.
Guinea pigs are happiest whenever kept along with other guinea pigs. Nevertheless, should you keep women and men together, make certain both pets would be the exact same intercourse or at minimum one sex was desexed.
RSPCA NSW will not suggest maintaining guinea pigs and rabbits together. Rabbits can give conditions to guinea pigs, in addition they may bully one another.
Guinea pigs are herbivores. To help keep them happy and healthy, they require:
- a continuing way to obtain top quality grass that is fresh lawn hay, such as for example Meadow, Oaten, Pasture, Ryegrass, Timothy or Wheaten hays. This is important for wearing down their constantly growing teeth.
- fresh, leafy green vegetables and herbs every single day, such as for instance broccoli, cabbage (in lower amounts), celery, endives, Brussel sprouts, bok choy as well as other Asian greens, and dark-leafed lettuce varieties; and natural herbs such as for example basil, coriander, dandelion, dill, mint and parsley. Understand that carrot tops should simply be offered being a periodic treat.
- little degrees of top-notch guinea pig pellets. These needs the absolute minimum content that is fibre of %.
- A source that is daily of C, such as for instance smaller amounts of citrus and kiwi fruits
- a consistent way to obtain clean, fresh water
Try not to feed your guinea pig:
- morning meal cereals
- Clover or Lucerne (Alfalfa) hays
- yard bushes
- lily associated with the valley
- onion grass
- potato tops
- raw beans
- rhubarb leaves
- spinich leaves
Guinea pigs need a lot of room to work out – the greater amount of the better. She should work out every single day in a big, grassy area, free and safe from predators.
You might like to offer your guinea pig with a chewing log made from untreated lumber to wear straight down her teeth, and overturned containers to cover in.
Everyday grooming is really important for long-haired guinea pigs, and guarantees their coats stay static in good condition. Regular maneuvering will help build her also self- self- confidence, and encourage her in order to become friendly and sociable.
It’s also wise to check out the period of your guinea pig’s teeth and toenails. Should they are a long time, get the veterinarian to trim them.
Good cleansing and feeding techniques may help avoid many typical health conditions, including breathing infections and epidermis dilemmas.
It is vital to pay for a flyscreen to your guinea pig’s hutch. Achieving this, in addition to maintaining her hutch clean, will help avoid flystrike. Long-haired guinea pigs are especially prone to this disorder, that can easily be deadly.
Guinea pigs, like the majority of animals, will also be at risk of fleas. Confer with your veterinarian about an appropriate flea therapy if required. They might additionally suffer with mite infestations, that may cause vexation, locks loss and itchiness.
In case your guinea pig develops bald batches, this may be a sign of the fungal condition ringworm, so look for assistance from a veterinarian straight away.
To learn more about typical health conditions, follow this link.
Your guinea pig’s enclosure should always be one or more metre by 0.7 metres, and 0.7 metres high. When you yourself have two guinea pigs, they are going to require twice this area. They are going to likewise require their, separate sleeping areas, which should be covered. You need to fly-proof the enclosure using flyscreen cable or mosquito netting, as this can help lessen the danger of flystrike.
Line the hutch with newsprint and soft lawn hay to give you cushioning and give a wide berth to foot accidents. Do not use sawdust, wood or straw shavings. Keep in mind that your guinea pig requires a soft ukrainian bride fuck, clean, dry area all the time, or she will quickly develop base dilemmas. Clean her enclosure that is entire regularly and her bedding whenever required – often as soon as each day.
Keep consitently the hutch in a sheltered area that will be well ventilated, between 18-26°C, and kept away from direct sunlight and strong winds. She should always get access to shade that is adequate.
View here to learn more about preventing heatstroke.